Bits & Bobs

On Thursday this week, Siân had a course in Exminster, so, after a few errands in Exeter, I walked from the RSPB car park to the Turf Hotel and back.

The tide was out, so most waders were out on the estuary. There were plenty of Lapwing on the marsh along with Curlew.


Groups of Shoveler, Pintail, Widgeon and Teal, along with a flock of a couple of hundred Dark-Bellied Brent Geese were spread across a wide area.



The female Marsh Harrier was quartering the marsh at some distance (so no photos).

I came across three Cetti's Warblers along the canal path. Tried to photograph one, but...


The Avocet flock (400+) was spread far over a large area.

There was one Egyptian Goose in the field by the Turf Hotel; there used to be two?


One Snipe walked out of cover as I returned to the car. I wonder how many more were spread across the marsh?


I found a Greenshank on a quick look from Starcross steps, but as the tide was low and I only had my binoculars with me, most birds were too far off to see properly, and time was running out; I needed to collect Siân.


Today (Sunday) I did a quick tour of the fields and wooded areas just to the north of Exmouth. Not much of note, a few Meadow Pipits and Pied Wagtails on the fields. A small wood held Redwing (50+) a calling Jay, and this is female Great Spotted Woodpecker.



An egret on a field among the cattle raised hopes of a Cattle Egret but it was a Little Egret with very muddy feet! Still good to see in this area.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A New Year and a Blog!

Tobago Holiday 2024

Grey Plover & colourful Kingfishers