Mission Diver

I hadn't seen a diver yet this year, so I was on a mission to see one today; I do like a diver!

I walked down to the estuary from home. It was a beautiful day, lovely bright winter light.

On my way down, just close to home, I passed by the brook, and I was just thinking that I hadn't seen a Grey Wagtail there for a while when one flew up from the brook and landed on the roof of a house nearby. Unfortunately, despite the excellent light, it was a bit flighty, so it didn't pose for a great photo!


There was another Grey Wagtail at Mudbank in Withycombe Brook.


The tide was high, so there was little of note off Mudbank. A Kingfisher was along a bit today, closer to the duck pond.


The high tide had pushed a group of Dunlin (4), a Ringed Plover and 20+ Turnstone into the strand line right in the corner of the duckpond. Pied Wagtail and Rock Pipit were also feeding on the strand line.





I didn't find any buntings on the Imperial Recreation Ground today, but there were a few people around, and some building work was taking place for the new Sea Scout hut. However, there was a Stonechat there again.

When I scanned from Shelly Beech, I saw what I'd walked down for, a Great Northern Diver feeding in the outgoing tide. I spent 15 pleasant minutes watching it diving with warm sunshine on my back. There were about 6 Shags also feeding in the wider area.


I made my way home via Maderia Walk; despite lots of looking through a flock of Coal Tits, Great Tits and Blue Tits, only two Goldcrest appeared.


On the walk home, I startled two Blackcaps (one male, the other undetermined) from a palm tree in Burnside where they were feeding on the fruit.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A New Year and a Blog!

Tobago Holiday 2024

Grey Plover & colourful Kingfishers