Cuckoo & Whitethroats

I spent the early afternoon at Bystock Woods, then I popped down to Orcombe and walked to Sandy Bay.

Birds of note at Bystock and the adjacent common were Willow Warbler and Dartford Warbler; a reasonable number of Chiffchaff and Blackcap were also singing. I heard a Cuckoo calling somewhere towards Withycombe Raleigh Common. This is the second year running that I've heard a Cuckoo in this area. Here is a photo that I took in the spring of 2023. I wonder if it is the same bird? Will it find a mate?


The walk from Orcombe to Sandy Bay was productive. Lots of Chiffchaff (11+) singing along with at least 3 Willow Warbler.

3+ Whitethroat were singing from the bushes along the coast path.


I saw and heard one Lesser Whitethroat in the cliff-top bushes before the WWII lookout. Sadly the bird did not show long enough for a photo.

Also in this stretch of vegetation was a singing Garden Warbler, poorly photographed here:

A pair of Long-tailed Tit were also actively feeding in these bushes.

There were 3+ Wheatear in the now ploughed top field, and at least 2 Skylark were singing over the dung field.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A New Year and a Blog!

Tobago Holiday 2024

Grey Plover & colourful Kingfishers